Sunday, December 7, 2008

On your mark, get set, go

My orientation officially began this week and I've actually been spending most of my days within the community itself. This was a new experience. As I gained my bearings last week and began to adjust to this new place, I was gradually immersed into the everyday routine of the organization.

By Monday things began slowly swinging into gear. Actually, it was Friday night when I really began to feel like I was in South Africa. I had mostly recovered from the jet-lag by then and as a team we went into town to spend the evening at the Barnyard, a small concert venue that doubles as an outdoor restaurant/bar on weekends.

Amid small fires and tables of people we enjoyed all-you-can-eat ribs and a couple of well-priced beers. The dinner was 70 Rand (less than $10). At R10 a pop the beer was also extremely good value. I’ve found that food prices at restaurants and grocery stores alike are generally about half of what we pay in Canada—the exchange rate is very favourable. Later on I found myself sitting at the bar with my Afrikaans housemate, drinking Castle lager with a cricket match on the overhead television. It was a very South African moment.

On Monday I met with the professional English teacher who was hired to instruct the students while Dan, the current Forward Education coordinator, was on vacation in Zambia. I noticed right away that Anne is an extremely dedicated and competent instructor, with a genuine care and passion for the students. I found out later that she was orphaned herself as a teenager, which partly explains why she was able to connect so well with the students.

Needless to say, she had plenty of good advice for me as I move into a teaching role in the coming weeks. I met the students as well that day. There are seven students in the Bridging Program, all orphans who were selected based on leadership potential and their dedication to community involvement. It is remarkable to think that many of these students are actually the heads of their households—some even have younger siblings in their care in addition to their studies and community work. It's inspiring.

No comments: