Sunday, December 7, 2008

Learning first-hand

Yesterday was my first day with the students. I have a tough enough time remembering English names; strange-sounding siSwati names like Mduduzi, Mxolisi, and Nokuzola don’t make it any easier. They even have a funny clicking sound in their language that I don’t have the faintest idea how to emulate.

I found out quickly that I am a terrible physics and maths teacher. I’d forgotten how difficult these subjects were in grade 12. I wasn’t much help to the students and it was embarrassing. Fortunately I was able to help a lot more with the geography. It was still a humbling experience and awoke me to the realization of how much work running this program is going to be. To be honest, I’m really looking forward to Kristal’s arrival late in May. I’ve heard that she is a trained math teacher, and based on the sheer amount of work involved with the Forward Education Program, I know already that it will have to be a nice two-person effort.

They’ve purposely waited to formally incorporate me into the Forward Program so that I have a chance to learn first-hand about the broader work of the organization. Central to the Hands at Work care network is the Masoyi Home-Based Care Program. There are about fifteen branches to the program as a whole, including Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC), Young Moms, Better Choices, youth programs, food programs, and afterschool education assistance, among others.

The major focus, however, is on the home visits made by the care workers of Masoyi Home-Based Care. The program is completely run by community members and all of the care workers are locals as well. Hands at Work helped to set up the program and provides ongoing support, but the goal is to empower local members of the community to run all of the day-to-day operations.

Patients are referred to us by clinics, family, friends, neighbours, or simply by word of mouth. Today I'll be sent out with some of the care workers to get a first-hand sense of the work that they do on day-in and day-out basis. To be perfectly honest, I don't really know what to expect. Maybe having no preconceptions is a good thing.

1 comment:

Frank Baron said...

Darryl, I look forward to further installments. If possible, I'd like you to drop me an email at: frank(at)frankbaron.com. (You know what to do with that "at." I hope.)